Saturday 3 September 2011

Grilled Corn


This recipe is a rather unexpected one. I was only planning to have one more (not this one, that is) before the school holidays start...

But you know, when you see corn in it's husk at the fruit and veg shop for 49c each, you can't help but get excited. I mean, I don't even like corn that much. I may be more impartial towards Asian-style corn (for a lack of a better name), its the kind thats chewy and sticky and oh-so-lovely, but I can only buy it frozen WITHOUT A HUSK here. So, when I saw the sweetcorn at the shop I remembered the time when I went on holidays to Shanghai, China, and I was walking along the street, not used to bitter cold and seeing street vendor's selling sweet potatoes and corn on a grill with the hot smokey-ish steam rising into the air. And you could also see that husk of the corn was all nice and charred. Oooh~

But sweetcorn is alright too, I s'pose...

Um, this recipe requires so little effort, which is why I felt like eating corn? I don't even know if this could be classified as a recipe. Seriously. You know, I can't even stand for more than 20 seconds (LITERALLY) without feeling the need to sit or rest. My legs are so sore!~ ...because I went to the city and walked for 7-8 hours straight (no exaggeration) to sell badges for charity. AND I raised ~$600! All by myself. *feels proud*

Back to the topic of corn...
Usually, when I think of grilled corn, it's "let's spend an hour setting up a giant charcoal barbeque and grill two cobs of corn". So, I 'grilled' it in a skillet. And I love those little dark 'grill' patches that give it a really nice flavour and make it look so pretty, so I when grilled two cobs of corn, only one ended up having pretty grill marks because I ate the other one.


 
I practically devoured it like the Cookie monster on Sesame St eating a cookie (well not really, 'cause technically he doesn't even eat the cookie).

There's a lot of steaming going on while its cooking in the skillet, because... well, because I felt like it. This was one of those recipes where I go; 
"Hmm, what shall I do? Okay I'll do this. Why? I dunno. 'Cause I feel like it. What for? Who cares?... wait, wait! How long did I cook it for? I need to write it down! Well, um, 15-20 minutes? No idea. Something like that. Eh."

And in case it's not that clear, I'm talking to myself.

Also, the cooking can be quite smokey at times, so turn on a range-hood. Which I forgot to do in the beginning and the fire alarm went all: BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEEEEEP! By the way? Don't pick it up with your hands. It's hot... erm, which reminds me...I picked it up with my hands and it wasn't a problem. Hmm... but if you burn yourself, don't blame me.

Oh, and if you're going to serve it with butter. Use a good SALTED butter. I mean, forget that its high in sodium blah, blah, high in this and that and it's soooo unhealthy. It's just a teaspoon or something, so it's cool right? RIIIGHT?

Grilled Corn
Serves: 2

2 Cobs of Corn (with husk)
Salted Butter (optional, to serve)

Peel off a few layers of the husk of the corn if there are many layers (leave about two-three layers). Then peel back the remaining layers, keeping it intact with the the corn. Remove all the silk and then rinse the corn. Soak the corn in cold water for around 10 minutes. Heat a skillet on medium to medium-low heat and squeeze the excess water gently from the corn then place the corn into the pan and add an extra 1-2 tablespoon/s of water. Put on a lid and let it cook until all of the water has evaporated. Once evaporated, rotate the corn and add another 1-2 tablespoon/s of water. Repeat this for around 15-20 minutes.

Optional: Peel back the husks, but leave intact for presentation and grill the corn directly on a high heat in the skillet, rotating every few seconds for grill marks, being careful not to burn the corn.

If you want to be really fancy, then you can add herbs/spices into the corn just before grilling. Some suggestions? I have no idea. Try garlic, oregano or basil?

Serve hot with or without butter.






3 comments:

  1. :9. 6 o'clock dinner, and looking at salty buttered corn..why must you tempt me.

    lawll. you should try making fried butter

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY!!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. MYYYYY COOOORRRRRNNNN!!!

    ReplyDelete

So what do you think?