Sunday 30 October 2011

Marrons Glacés


 Well. Sort of.

Does anyone else think that the plural of marron glacé sounds better as marron glacés? Rather than marrons glacés?... or is it just me?

Oh! You know, I love that plate/saucer thing. I think it's so pretty...which is probably why we've never used them before, even though we have like a 20 piece set. Why? 'cause things can get pricey when they're made from fine bone china and platinum :D. But we have them anyway because...we have them.

Day 1...actually the first 5 minutes.
Day 2/Day 3

So. I'm pretty lazy...because I used packaged, roasted (but more like boiled though) and peeled chestnuts...which are no where near as good as fresh, fresh chestnuts (read: use fresh chestnuts instead~). But hey, it's so much easier.

... Aaaand maybe I finished 12-24 hours too early... but I kinda like the really glossy sticky-ness on the outside, even though that's not technically right...

Don't ask we why some of them got really dark. They did a tad... but then I think the camera did something weird. Eh.
 
Marrons Glacés
Makes: (not that many) ~10, depending on the size of the chestnuts.

150g of peeled and cooked chestnuts (if cooking and peeling yourself, start with 250g-300g)
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of water
1 tsp vanilla extract (or even better, vanilla bean)

Melt the sugar over low heat with the water and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the vanilla then the chestnuts and let it  gently for another 10 minutes. Set aside for 12 hours. Then bring to the boil and simmer for 1 minute. Cool and set aside for another 12 hours. Repeat this process 3 or 4 more times in which all the liquid is absorbed. If not (like me, cause I like syrup) reserve the syrup for anything really (e.g. ice-cream, pancakes)

Serve by itself, use for mont blanc, on ice cream or as a garnish for other desserts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think?