Thursday 3 November 2011

ANZAC Biscuits (chewy)


So, I know that it's nowhere near ANZAC Day and stuff...but I like ANZAC Biscuits. Besides, I bought a packet of desiccated coconut yesterday 'cause I felt like it (and no, don't tell me it's impulse buying...you know who you are). I made chocolate cupcakes with coconut icing yesterday as well and had them for breakfast. How healthy...

ANZAC Biscuits have quite an interesting history from what I remember... *goes to search it up*
...Hmm, apparently, they should NEVER be referred to as cookies. ANZAC cookies. Eww. Sounds weird. ANZAC Biscuits are better. Isn't cookies like an American term anyway?

Also, I've always preferred quick oats to rolled oats, even though the rolled will give a chewier texture... or something. I like chewy biscuits. CHEWY FTW!...excuse me. Got a bit excited there. Um, actually I only baked half the dough and froze the rest of it in a cylindrical shape so that I could slice it into rounds next time I bake the biscuits.

So... I took a couple of nice photos which I can't really insert here and there between the text. So here they come.

Melting the Butter.
Beginning to mix the...mixture.
How perfectly round!
Squish!~
Just out of the oven.
A biscuit stack...in the garden.
ANZAC Biscuits:
Makes 2 dozen

125g butter
2 tbsp golden syrup
1 cup quick/rolled oats
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup plain flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
2 tbsp water

Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C. Melt the butter and golden syrup over medium heat, stirring occassionally. Meanwhile, combine the oats, coconut, flour, the two sugars in a large bowl. Then mix the bicarbonate soda and water in a small, separate bowl and add it to the melted butter and golden syrup, keeping in mind that it will expand and froth. Add the butter and golden syrup mix to the dry mixture and combine well. Scoop level tablespoonfuls of the mixture and roll into balls, placing them on a  baking tray lined with greaseproof paper about 4-5 centimetres apart (I got 12 on per tray). Then using you hands/fingers or the bottom of a glass, press down on each ball until they are 1 cm thick and about 4 or 5 centimeters in diameter. Bake in the middle of the oven for about 15 minutes. Watch them carefully and take them out as soon as they are lightly golden brown since any longer will result in a more crisp biscuit. Cool slightly on the tray (~5 minutes) or they'll break and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Serve with a glass of milk or teaaaa. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think?